Call for papers for the ECREA regional ICSI section conference:
(Mediated) Social Interaction in Groups, Networks and Organizations
Time and place
October 23–25, 2017 at Aalto University School of Business, Helsinki, Finland
- Jennifer L. Gibbs, Professor, Organizational Communication and Technologies, U of California Santa Barbara, USA
- Bart J. Van den Hooff, Professor of Organizational Communication and Information Systems, VU U Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- Two-day conference and parallel sessions (Oct 23–24) for all participants
- One-day (Oct 25) workshop for young scholars and senior respondents
Proposal submission deadline 5 May 2017
ICSI Regional Conference is the 5th bi-annual meeting of the Interpersonal Communication and Social Interaction Division of ECREA, European Communication Research and Education Association. This year’s conference is co-hosted by University of Jyväskylä and Aalto University School of Business, and will be held in Helsinki, Finland.
The title of the conference, (Mediated) Social Interaction in Groups, Networks and Organizations, reflects some of the relevant themes and discussions within our division. Workplaces, as well as groups and networks beyond traditional organizations, are constituted through communication and social interaction. Face-to-face communication, routines and practices shape organizing in traditional organizations whereas virtual communities and teams rely heavily on digitally mediated communication. Furthermore, social media and other technologies bring new affordances to communication and organizing in all kinds of professional relationships and interactions.
ICSI Regional Conference 2017 will provide an opportunity to discuss the role of (mediated) communication in constituting groups, teams, networks, and organizations. We call for paper and panel proposals from any communication or communication-related discipline and methodology that address the conference themes, including, but not limited to, papers that intersect and/or interconnect with the following topics:
- Privacy and publicity in professional (mediated) social interaction
- Virtual teams, networks and communities
- The role of communication and technologies or other artifacts in constituting groups, teams and organizations
- (Mediated) workplace meetings
- Social interaction and social media in the workplace
- The role of (digital) media in different professions
- Digitization of work and professions
- Leadership in the age of new/social media
- Communication competence and new skills in (mediated) professional settings
- Professional boundaries, identities, and social interaction
- Interpersonal relationships and (mediated) support
- Methodological challenges in studying (mediated) social interaction in groups, networks or organizations
We welcome both individual and co-authored abstract submissions as well as clearly framed, thematic panel proposals. If you want to submit a panel proposal, please send an abstract of the overall panel theme as well as a short description of each panelist and their presentation (3-5 participants).
Please submit an abstract of maximum 300 words for individual/co-authored papers and maximum of 600 words for panels to submission system. The submission deadline is 5 May 2017. Submission system: https://congress.cc.jyu.fi/icsi2017/cgi-bin/contact.cgi.
We will get back to you with information on acceptance of papers and panels and with a preliminary program and practical information at the end of June.
Young Scholars Workshop
We kindly invite Ph.D. students and junior faculty to participate in the young scholars workshop held on the third day of the conference, on Wednesday, October 25th, 2017 at Aalto University School of Business. During the workshop, participants and senior faculty members from Finland and abroad will discuss the papers submitted by the participants and talk about methodological and theoretical issues in communication research. The workshop provides also an opportunity to discuss research career issues and career development with senior scholars. The workshop is included in the main conference fee.
You can sign up to the workshop and submit summary of your paper via the submission system. The summaries should not exceed 300 words. Submission system: https://congress.cc.jyu.fi/icsi2017/cgi-bin/contact.cgi (deadline is 5 May 2017).
Please note, that all accepted participants are expected to submit a 1 000–1 500-word paper of their work before the event in September and give short presentation of their work during the workshop.
We invite all Ph.D. students and junior faculty with relevant projects to participate and get feedback on their research from senior scholars in the field, as well as to network with international peers.
Conference website: www.jyu.fi/icsi2017
Organizer email: firstname.lastname@example.org