ICA Environmental Communication Division
DEADLINE: March 1st, 2018
The ICA Environmental Communication Division's dissertation award recognizes the best in doctoral research and dissertation writing in environmental communication. The 2018 award will be the inaugural competition of the division. The award will be given in even-numbered years thereafter. The winner will be recognized with a certificate and cash award during the division’s business meeting at the annual conference.
Nominations for the award are invited from programs and institutions granting a Ph.D. in any aspect of communication or related fields (e.g. environmental studies, political science, sociology). The rules for the competition are as follows:
1) Dissertations completed between January 1 and December 31 (inclusive) for 2 years prior to the conference year are eligible for consideration. For this first competition, dissertations completed AND successfully defended between January 1, 2016 and December 31, 2017 are eligible.
2) The dissertation advisor, dissertation committee member, graduate program director, faculty colleague, or the nominee may make nominations. Nominations have to be made with a cover letter indicating the scholarly strengths of the work. In the case of a self-nomination, a cover letter from the advisor must accompany the nomination.
3) A manuscript that summarizes the key elements of the dissertation must be submitted with all nominations. The summary must follow these guidelines:
· The manuscript must not exceed 30 pages of text (double spaced, 12-point font, 1 inch margins) plus references, tables, appendix, etc.
· The manuscript should clearly identify and include the rationale, theoretical framework, research questions, relevant literature, methods, results, and conclusions.
· The submitted manuscript must include a cover sheet that contains only the title and the abstract. All identifying information has to be removed from the text of the paper and the file properties.
· The manuscript and accompanying documents must be submitted as a single PDF document.
· Full dissertations or chapters of dissertations will not be accepted for review.
· Submissions that do not meet these guidelines will be returned without undergoing review.
4) All materials must be received by February 15, 2018 and should be submitted via email to the ICA Environmental Communication Division Chair:
Michigan State University