Members - click title to access journal.
Note: All ICA memberships include a subscription to the Journal of Communication.
The Journal of Communication is a general forum for communication scholarship and publishes articles and book reviews examining a broad range of issues in communication theory and research. JoC publishes the best available scholarship on all aspects of communication. All methods of scholarly inquiry into communication are welcome. Manuscripts should be conceptually meaningful, methodologically sound, interesting, clearly written, and thoughtfully argued.
Submission Guidelines. Effective July 1, 2010, all submitted manuscripts must be prepared in strict accordance with the 6th edition (2nd printing) of the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association (APA; see http://www.apastyle.org/). Authors may find the following article from the ICA Newsletter helpful; it details the main differences between the 5th and 6th editions of the APA Publication Manual: (click for article) For more tips, refer to the APA Style Cribsheet.
Manuscripts should be a maximum of 35 pages in length (including the abstract and all references, tables, figures, appendices, and endnotes).
- Page 1 must include an abstract (maximum of 120 words) and selected keywords (at least 5 of author's own).
- Page 2 starts with title and main text. Please note that the title functions as the first-order heading for the introduction. Subsequent subheadings should begin with a second-order subheading (bold flush left, see pp. 62-63 of APA 6th edition for examples).
- Standard type (12-point font, double-spaced, Times New Roman, 1.0 inch margins) should be used throughout.
- Running head and page numbers on top right corner (header) of each page.
- Please imbed hypotheses and research questions in normal text at the end of the rationales leading up to them. Please do not present the separately in block text.
- References are double-spaced; 2nd and subsequent lines should have hanging indent of 0.5 inch (References should also start on a new page).
- All tables, figures, appendices and endnotes should be placed after references.
- Tables and figures should be in standard 12-point type, Times New Roman. Each table and figure should be presented on a separate page, but in the case of simple tables and figures more than one (but no more than two) may be presented on a single page.
- Submit only 1 main document (including all tables, figures and appendices) in WORD format (.doc) extension. NOTE: We do not accept PDF files.
In addition, please remove all author names and institutional information from manuscripts, so as to enable blinded peer review.
Manuscripts that do not follow these requirements or that are otherwise deemed unsuitable for publication will be returned to the author(s) without review.
PLEASE NOTE THAT WE NO LONGER ACCEPT OFFLINE OR EMAIL SUBMISSIONS. ALL MANUSCRIPTS MUST BE SUBMITTED ONLINE THROUGH MANUSCRIPT CENTRAL: http://mc.manuscriptcentral.com/jcom.
Inquiries regarding manuscripts should be directed to:
Editor, Journal of Communication
U of Washington Dept. of Communication
Seattle, WA 98195-3740 USA
Manuscripts meriting review will be read anonymously, usually by two referees. In most instances, authors can expect decisions on their work within 120 days. Because manuscripts receive expert review, and because the Editorial Board of JoC is international in scope, this time may vary. The Journal retains the right to make changes in accepted manuscripts that (in the opinion of the editor) do not substantially alter meaning as well as for grammatical, stylistic and space considerations.
Authors should submit book review manuscripts via the journal's Manuscript Central site. When submitting a book review, please select 'book review' from the manuscript type drop-down menu. For inquiries regarding book reviews, please contact the book review editor:
Jaye Atkinson, Georgia State University
Department of Communication
P.O. Box 4000
Atlanta, GA 30302-4000 USA