The International Communication Association’s annual call for ICA Officer Nominations is open. Nomination submissions will be forwarded to the Nominating Committee for consideration for inclusion in the September 2020 ICA Elections. Please take this opportunity to help guide ICA’s future by submitting qualified nominees.
NOMINATION PERIOD OPENS: 1 February
DEADLINE FOR NOMINEE SUBMISSIONS: 12:00 Noon ICA Headquarters Time on 28 February
ELIGIBILITY: Any ICA member may nominate themselves or any other ICA member for office. Only Active Members shall be eligible for nomination, election, or appointment to office in the Association.
ICA OFFICER POSITIONS: Members may nominate candidates to be reviewed by the Nominating Committee for president, board member-at-large, board student and early career representative and treasurer.
· PRESIDENT: The member selected as president makes a 5 1/2-year commitment to the Executive Committee (six months as president-elect select; one year as president-elect and conference program chair; one year as ICA President; three years as past president). The final year on the Executive Committee, the past president serves as both the General Secretary of the Board of Directors and as the chair of the Regional Conferences Committee. The President-Elect Select selected in the 2020 election will begin service on the Executive Committee immediately upon announcement of the results.
· BOARD MEMBER-AT-LARGE: Board Members-at-Large serve one three-year term; there are three BMAL at any given time. The purpose of member-at-large positions is to grow the Board of Directors representation from underrepresented regions. Board member-at-large positions are no longer tied to specific area openings, and anyone can be considered, but the nominating committee will typically identify one region for the two candidates selected. View the Board Member-at-Large job description. The BMAL selected in the 2020 election will begin service at the end of the 2021 Annual ICA Conference in Denver, CO USA.
· BOARD STUDENT AND EARLY CAREER REPRESENTATIVE: Board Student & Early Career Representatives serve in pairs, with one nominated each year for overlapping two-year terms. View the Board Student & Early Career Representative description. The Board Student & Early Career Representative in the 2020 election will begin service at the end of the 2021 Annual ICA Conference in Denver, CO USA.
· TREASURER: The ICA Treasurer works closely with the Executive Director to oversee the budget, investments, endowments, reserves, and cash flow of the association. The Treasurer participates in a quarterly call to review investments, will attend monthly Executive Committee calls, and is a voting member of the Executive Committee for three years, preceded by an initial “Treasurer Elect” year in which the role is non-voting and observational. The Treasurer reviews monthly bank statements and approves the fiscal year budget as prepared by the Executive Director. As ICA’s accounts, investments, and financial procedures are conducted according to GAAP in the United States, the Treasurer should have a strong understanding of US tax rules and best practices. The ideal Treasurer will have past experience controlling a large budget and have had significant fiscal responsibility in university settings, federal granting agencies, large private foundations, private sector firms, or on large funded research grants and contracts, etc. The Treasurer elected in the 2020 election will begin service at the end of the 2021 Annual ICA Conference in Denver, CO USA. That person will serve one year (2021-2022) as Treasurer Elect, followed by three years (2022-2025) as Treasurer.
NOMINATION PROCESS: Members wishing to submit nominations for office to stand in ICA's September elections must do so by 12:00 Noon ICA Headquarters Time on 28 February, the deadline for receipt of all nominations. Names are then forwarded to the Nominating Committee, who will review all materials and qualifications and determine a short list of two candidates for each position. Nominations must be submitted through the form on the ICA Officer Nomination page linked to below; all fields are required including details about the candidate's qualifications, record of service to ICA, and the attachment of the candidate’s Curriculum Vitae.
ELECTIONS: Online balloting for ICA elections is open annually from 1 September through 15 October. Results are typically announced on ICA social media channels and published in the November newsletter.
QUESTIONS: Questions on the nominating process may be directed to Julie Arnold, ICA Senior Manager of Governance or to Amy Jordan, 2020 Nominating Committee Chair.
TO SUBMIT A NOMINATION:
1. Log into your ICA account;
2. Go to the ICA Officer Nomination page;
Complete the form at the bottom of the page; all fields are required.