The International Communication Association relies on the expertise and passion of its membership. In addition to enjoying exclusive benefits such as discounted conference rates, ICA members derive gratification from contributing to the association's success through service on committees and task forces. This collaboration with scholars from all around the world is both intellectually challenging and rewarding.
ICA committees have rotating memberships with staggered terms to maximize institutional memory and stability. Each year, a small number of openings become available. If you are interested in getting involved with ICA outside of your specific division or interest group, please complete the form to express your interest! Learn more about the ICA Engagement Opportunities process.
How can serving ICA serve me? Top five reasons you (or a colleague) should get involved:
1. BOOST YOUR CAREER: Particularly for early-career scholars, association service is an excellent way to elevate your CV. It helps you promote yourself with a positive impression, develop creativity and innovation skill sets, and becomes a forum to apply your strengths. You will contribute to the charge, problem solve as needed, and deal with a mix of personalities with varied career experience levels from diverse areas of academic focus. This all adds up and helps to improve your teamwork, leadership, problem-solving and interpersonal skills, all of which are skills you will use in the university faculty setting as well.
2. MAKE AN IMPACT: Service to ICA gives you the chance to shape the kind of community with which you wish to be align yourself. It gives you the opportunity to be a part of something bigger than yourself and collaborate with other scholars across the globe. Through service, you make a commitment to ICA. Members of the ICA committees and task forces volunteer time and effort to support ICA and move its work forward. The accomplished growth of ICA is a direct result of the dedication to the association and commitment to excellence made by committee and task force members. Become an integral part of ICA's success!
3. GIVE BACK TO AN ORGANIZATION YOU BELIEVE IN: Our members are passionate about ICA; service on a committee or task force is the ultimate show of support!
4. FORM A CONNECTION: Service to ICA further connects you with other ICA members with whom you might otherwise not cross paths. It gives you the chance to form real relationships that can have a lasting impact on your life. You could connect with a future research collaborator, have a conversation that sparks a substantive change in your research, or even meet your new best friend!
5. BECOME PART OF THE ICA LEADERSHIP COMMUNITY: Service to a particular committee or task force helps drive that specific piece of a greater strategic plan for the Association. Becoming part of a committee or task force helps get you on the radar of and build connections with ICA Leadership. ICA committee and task force members often advance to other leadership roles within the organization. If you're ambitious to move up within the leadership, volunteering for a committee or task force is the place to start.
The fine print:
ICA accepts Expressions of Interest for a six-month period annually closing at 12:00 Noon ICA Headquarters Time on 28 February (for service to begin the following June if appointed). Only current members are eligible for appointment to a committee or task force. Completing an Expression of Interest does not guarantee placement on a committee or task force.