wrote on the Divisions: Environmental Communication
wall: Call for Proposals
Environmental Communication Division
Graduate Student Pre-conference
ICA 2018, Prague, Czech Republic
Date: May 24, 2018 | Time: 9am-12pm | Location: TBA
The Environmental Communication Division Graduate Student Pre-conference will bring together students working in environmental communication and similar fields with experienced scholars. We invite graduate students, post-docs and other researchers who work in topics related to the environment, science, natural resources, and sustainability to submit their work. Our goals for this half day pre-conference are to provide a forum to connect with other scholars, gather feedback on research projects, and receive advice pertaining to early career success from leading experts in the field. We hope you’ll join us for the inaugural Environmental Communication Division Graduate Student Pre-conference at the 2018 ICA conference.
The morning will start with short presentations and a poster session in small group settings. Each group will include, in addition to fellow graduate students and researchers, leading scholars in the field of environmental communication. Presenters will receive feedback from peers, colleagues, and faculty on research projects at any stage in their development. After a networking coffee break, the invited scholars will share insights regarding career opportunities, publishing, and future directions of environmental communication research.
Confirmed Faculty Participants:
● Dr. Matthew Nisbet, Northeastern University (Editor-in-chief, Environmental Communication)
● Dr. Jonathon Schuldt, Cornell University (Vice chair elect, Environmental Communication Division - ICA)
● Dr. Lauren Feldman, Rutgers University
● More TBA!!
Participants have to register to the pre-conference through ICA conference portal at the time of registration for the main conference.
Applications for oral or poster presentation: https://goo.gl/forms/G8DTBH04fIzw1qg92
Students should submit a 500-word abstract that outlines topic, theoretical framework, method, and if applicable, empirical application. Submission for presentation is not required for participation in the pre-conference. Questions should be addressed to Adina T. Abeles (email@example.com) or Adam M. Rainear (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Deadline for submissions: 14 February 2018
Notification of acceptance: 28 February 2018
The pre-conference is sponsored by:
● Department of Communication, University of Connecticut
● Stanford Woods Institute for the Environment, Stanford University
● Department of Communication, Michigan State University
● Adina T. Abeles, Ph.D student, Stanford University
● Adam M. Rainear, Ph.D student, University of Connecticut
● Faculty advisor: Dr. Bruno Takahashi, Michigan State University (Chair, Environmental Communication Division - ICA)
Posted Tuesday, December 19, 2017
wrote on the Divisions: Environmental Communication
ICA Environmental Communication Division
DEADLINE: March 1st, 2018
The ICA Environmental Communication Division's dissertation award recognizes the best in doctoral research and dissertation writing in environmental communication. The 2018 award will be the inaugural competition of the division. The award will be given in even-numbered years thereafter. The winner will be recognized with a certificate and cash award during the division’s business meeting at the annual conference.
Nominations for the award are invited from programs and institutions granting a Ph.D. in any aspect of communication or related fields (e.g. environmental studies, political science, sociology). The rules for the competition are as follows:
1) Dissertations completed between January 1 and December 31 (inclusive) for 2 years prior to the conference year are eligible for consideration. For this first competition, dissertations completed AND successfully defended between January 1, 2016 and December 31, 2017 are eligible.
2) The dissertation advisor, dissertation committee member, graduate program director, faculty colleague, or the nominee may make nominations. Nominations have to be made with a cover letter indicating the scholarly strengths of the work. In the case of a self-nomination, a cover letter from the advisor must accompany the nomination.
3) A manuscript that summarizes the key elements of the dissertation must be submitted with all nominations. The summary must follow these guidelines:
• The manuscript must not exceed 30 pages of text (double spaced, 12-point font, 1 inch margins) plus references, tables, appendix, etc.
• The manuscript should clearly identify and include the rationale, theoretical framework, research questions, relevant literature, methods, results, and conclusions.
• The submitted manuscript must include a cover sheet that contains only the title and the abstract. All identifying information has to be removed from the text of the paper and the file properties.
• The manuscript and accompanying documents must be submitted as a single PDF document.
• Full dissertations or chapters of dissertations will not be accepted for review.
• Submissions that do not meet these guidelines will be returned without undergoing review.
4) All materials must be received by February 15, 2018 and should be submitted via email to the ICA Environmental Communication Division Chair:
Michigan State University
Posted Monday, November 20, 2017
joined the group Divisions: Environmental Communication
Posted Monday, December 12, 2016