"Many of my fellow members have mentioned that friendships and collaborations formed and nurtured at ICA have become some of the most rewarding relationships of their lives." - Peng Hwa Ang (ICA President 2016-2017)
The International Communication Association is the premier academic association for scholars engaged in the study, teaching, and application of all aspects of human and mediated communication internationally. Members gain immediate access to a full array of benefits. Join your peers, become a part of the ICA community.
Discounts & Grants
- ICA Annual Conference Registration: ICA's flagship event is the annual conference. In the past six years, average registrations have exceeded 2,500 and indications are that attendance is poised to grow, along with continuing improvement in the quality of papers and panels accepted. The conference features practical and compelling content and provides ample opportunity to network with colleagues who share your teaching and research interests worldwide. We recognize outstanding contributions to the field through awards and fellowship programs. ICA Members qualify for substantially discounted conference rates where the combined cost of membership plus the member discounted registration rate is more affordable than the expense of conference registration for a nonmember.
- Exclusive Member Discounts: Enjoy discounts, perks, and offers exclusively available to active ICA members. Current discounts include 20% off your purchase of any ICA Handbook Series, and US $10 discount when you join CIOs. Check back regularly for added programs.
- ICA Travel Grants: Each year, ICA awards grants to qualifying members to help with annual conference expenses. Divisions and Interest Groups also offer funding and top research awards to members of those sections.
- ICA Academic Journal Subscriptions: ICA Membership includes subscriptions to our 6 professional journals, available online. Members also receive online access to all previously published journals dating back to the first issue of Journal of Communication in 1951 and Communication Yearbook 5.
Communication, Culture, and Critique
Human Communication Research
Journal of Communication
Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication (online open-access)
Annals of the International Communication Association (Formerly Communication Yearbook)
- Additional ICA Publications:
Communication in the Public Interest - Wiley
ICA Handbook series - Routledge
The International Encyclopedia of Communication - Wiley
The Guide to Publishing - Routledge
ICA Themebooks - Peter Lang
- MyICA is the members-only section of the ICA website geared toward professional social networking. The site includes the member's personal profile with contact information, specific research-related keywords and an open-text area where the member might write a short descriptive paragraph about research interests. Members can also indicate their interests regarding collaborative works. All ICA members can filter for any of these factors while searching our membership directory. Members can also customize preferences including journal hard copy subscriptions, divisions or interest group choices, and communication preferences from ICA administration or section leadership. It's even possible to print out past invoice receipts on ICA letterhead.
- Member Search this feature greatly increases networking possibilities allowing you to customize a search of the ICA Member Directory.
- The Student and Early Career Scholar Committee (SECAC) is dedicated to the graduate student members and early career scholars of the International Communication Association. Its goal is to provide key resources for academic achievement, professional development, and work-life coherence for graduate students and early career scholars, so that they may build a meaningful, successful career. A key component of this strategy is building and enhancing a comprehensive Early Career Scholars' Network. A separate SECAC website highlights several aspects of this network, including: ways and strategies to get involved with ICA and network with other scholars, news and information on opportunities available, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) for early career scholars, and a mentoring platform that be will online shortly. Graduate student members are represented on the ICA Board through two Graduate Student Representatives (GSRs).
Division & Interest Group Memberships
- Divisions and Interest Groups are a great way to customize your membership experience based on your personal topic area(s) of interest. Joining a Division or Interest Group affords you increased potential to network with colleagues of similar interest. You will receive field-specific calls for papers, newsletters or special announcements disseminated by section leaders. Each function autonomously and conduct business meetings in conjunction with our annual conference. Most offer awards for various scholastic achievements such as best paper, or best research by a young scholar. The breadth of divisions and interest groups is a strength of the Association, showcasing our wide-ranging discipline in which different aspects of communication are linked not only by common processes and structures, but also by diverse theories, methods, and methodologies. No matter your area of academic focus, you will be able to find a home with us.
- ICA is a self-organizing association, which means that members drive the Association. So while attending conferences, getting papers accepted and access to quality journals are pluses, members find they also benefit from contributing to the Association in many ways: You may serve as an officer of one of the divisions and interest groups (each D/IG chair has a seat on the Board of Directors governing the association as a whole). You may also serve in one of the ICA's committees and task forces. Such work, which can be equal parts challenging and rewarding, both necessitates and comes with the benefit of interaction with scholars from all around the world.